Tuesday, June 4, 2013

Guacamole Recipe

Let me start by saying that I am was not a guac girl.

I've never really liked it. But my husband is obsessed, so I agreed to attempt to make some. Then I found this recipe, made some tweaks to make it more to my personal taste, and now I am a guac convert.

Guacamole Recipe

Ingredients:
- 2 medium avocados, ripe, peeled and pitted
- 1 15-oz. can young peas, drained and rinsed
- 1 or 2 chopped jalapenos
- 1/2 of red onion, finely chopped
- 1 or 2 chopped tomatoes (I use Roma)
- 1/4 cup fat-free plain Greek yogurt (or however much you want, really)
- lime juice from 1/2 a lime
- 3 or 4 (or 5) cloves chopped garlic
- 1 tsp cumin (or more)
- 2 tbsp chopped cilantro (or more)
- salt and pepper to taste

gather your ingredients
gather your ingredients

Directions:
Put the peas in a medium-sized bowl and mash them with a fork until almost smooth. Add in the avocados and mash that into the peas until smooth.


smooshing the peas (please don't be off-put by this step)
smooshing the peas (please don't be off-put by this step)

 At this point I rough chop all the veggies* and throw them in my food processor to chop more finely. You could also use a blender, or just chop it all by hand. I tend to like my guacamole less chunky, but if chunky is your thing, just chop it all up until you're satisfied. Don't take it too seriously, it's just guacamole.

before
before

after
after

 Add the veggies to the pea/avocado mixture and stir. Add the Greek yogurt until it reaches the texture/creaminess you prefer. Add cumin, salt and pepper. Do a taste test and add more of whatever floats your boat.

guacamole!
guacamole! (fyi this is only half the amount it makes)

 You can cover the bowl with plastic wrap and refrigerate up to 1 day. This makes somewhere around 4 cups.

Note: I've made this both with and without the peas (substituting another avocado for them). I prefer it with them, probably because I'm not such a huge fan of avocado.

So, now I can make guacamole that both my husband (the guacamole king) and myself (the guacamole skeptic) enjoy. Everyone's happy. Our marriage is safe. (Not that it was really in danger.)

What do you think? Would you give this a try even if you didn't care for guac?

*"Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit; wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad." - Brian Gerald O'Driscoll

2 comments:

  1. Yay nothing to burn in this recipe :-P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hooray! Although I've gotten way better about that, I still set off the smoke alarm occasionally :(

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...